Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Easy like Sunday morning..

I know it's Wednesday, but it feels more like a Sunday. There has not been football, but there has been sleeping in and laundry. I wrote some postcards (you all will probably get them just as I'm returning to the states), and sat out on the balcony, enjoying the sun and warm summer breeze while reading my book (I'm trying to even out the odd shaped sunburn on my chest, but don't worry Mom, I broke out the spf 50 - can't play around with the Africa sun). I listened to some local music while painting my toenails. And I just hung my laundry out on the line to dry.

Maybe it's that I'm on vacation or maybe it's that the weather is perfect. Or maybe it's that Cape Town is beautiful and I'm just relaxed. But I feel like it's more than that. There's an energy about this place that is hard to pinpoint and impossible to do justice through words. It's more than vibrancy and it's deeper than hope and it's not just the hospitality of the locals. The flowers are breathtaking and the birds are fantastic singers. But it's beyond that. There's a fresh vivacity in the air -- whether wandering around in town with the bustling businessmen and tired construction workers, or sitting quietly in the flat. Whatever it is, it's everywhere.

Now for some lessons. Avo is also known as avocado. If you are looking to lease a flat, the signs reading "to let" are for you. There are no "you're welcomes" or "no problems"; there is "pleasure". When you thank the waitress for her service or Vernon for a stimulating conversation they respond with "pleasure" and they genuinely mean it. On the flip of that, there is "shame". Break you nail? Get fired? Your dog died? Not feeling well? Shame.

I'm working hard, and falling quite short, on mastering the click of the Xhosa language. I'm determined. By non-Xhosa speakers, the click is substituted with a k sound. So it's often pronounced as Koh-sa. But with the proper pronunciation, the click blends into the -osa. The click is produced deeper in the back of your mouth, and is off to the side. I sit here, practicing.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the cankles have diminished. They are no fun! I was away for 4 days skiing, so it was great to come back and catch up with your blog...sounds like a wicked awesome time as we say.
    Glad to hear the passport fiasco has sorted itself as well, I would have shit my pants if that happened to me or my travel buddy. Goodness!!
    Take lots of pictures!!! I'm ESPECIALLY jealous of all the amazing birds you get to see. Woohoo! Miss you G-Spot!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey greta! it seems like your having such an incredible time in cepe town! I wish i could be there with you! and, your cousin kat loves you more than aunt gretch =)

    ~ aunt gretchen <3

    ReplyDelete