Friday, February 13, 2009

Two nights and a few random thoughts.

1. Last night Marita's class was held here at the flat. Marita cooked an incredible meal for over 23 people! There were three guest speakers for her class: Molly, Noluyanda, and Balbawa. Molly directed the amazing documentary film Testing Hope (a link definitely worth checking out) about grade 12 South African students preparing for the Matric exam. Noluyanda and Balbawa are two of the four students that were featured in it. The conversations were stimulating and plentiful! Noluyanda and Balbawa are young and spirited and brilliant and more hopeful than one could imagine. It was a fantastic evening; I only wish I could have spent more time speaking with them.







2. Tonight Lee Anne and I went to Addis in Cape, this amazing Ethiopian restaurant on the corner of Long and Church Streets. You can tell it is truly authentic and sticks closely by Ethiopian cultural traditions. The rice bread was delicious (albeit eerily gauze-like), as was the lamb and spinach saute (nothing like my spinach!). And more eating with your hands! The music was fantastic, the incense was soothing, and the sweet Ethiopian wine tasted like honey. The hardwood floors had character, the Ethiopian tea was refreshing, and the energy was rich. The embroidered umbrellas that were hanging from the ceilings were multi-colored and stunning, the ceremonial serving of the coffee was exciting, and the conversation was eye-opening. All good things.











----
On to the random thoughts.

3. I have had some of the most insightful, meaningful, difficult, open, and challenging conversations with local South Africans while I've been here. So much so that I'm beginning to wonder what we're so afraid of in the States? Why won't we talk about the hard stuff?

4. I'm starting to fear culture shock. Not so much in the "I don't know how to get used to my routine again or what it will be like to watch TV for the first time in a month" kind of a way. But, I'm worried about how I will relate to people. I don't expect people to understand what traveling to South Africa has been all about for me, and I wonder how I will be processing and living that reality. I'm worried that I'll get "mad" at people for simply living their lives and doing what they do because they don't "get it"... and I really really really don't want that to happen.

5. I had every intention of continuing this list of additional random thoughts, but my eyes are closing as I type. I guess that means I'm going to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. There will be culture shock for you. And it will seem like you never left (and the world keep on moving) when you return even though everything in your entire life has changed. Kinda hard to explain, but you will know what I mean when you return. I have done 2 exchange programs and TOTALLY get what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete